Image Credit: "Divinity" by praline3001 (Creative Commons)
Here's one for home candy-makers: a Divinity Roll that my grandmother called "Magic Candy."
I was sorting a box of books recently and discovered an old cookbook put out by the W.S.C.S. (a ladies' service group) at the Fayette IA Methodist Church. It's at least 50 years old. My grandmother's divinity recipe is in the book, and I share it along with some warm memories. Grandma made this every Christmas, and I remember it being out pretty much every year starting when I was very young. It's wonderful stuff! Enjoy!
Magic Candy (Divinity Roll)
4 cups sugar
1-1/3 cups water
1 cup light corn syrup
4 egg whites
a few grains of salt
- In one saucepan combine 1 cup of the sugar and 2/3 cup of the water. Place over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cool without stirring until syrup forms a soft ball when a little is dropped into cold water. (238° F). Just before syrup reaches the soft ball stage beat egg whites until stiff; gradually add syrup beating after each addition; beat until slightly thickened.
- In another saucepan cook together at the same time the remaining 3 cups of sugar and 2/3 cup water and 1 cup corn syrup but cook until it will make a light cracking sound as it hits the bottom when a little is dropped into cold water. (270° F). Gradually beat this syrup into first mixture; add salt and vanilla. Let cool, beating occasionally until creamy.
- Divide into 4 separate bowls: To contents of first bowl add 2 squares unsweetened chocolate and 2 teaspoons butter, melted. To contents of second bowl, add 1/2 cup shredded, chopped coconut. To contents of third bowl add 1/4 cup chopped candied fruits and 1/4 cup chopped nuts. (Candied cherries and pistachio nuts are the thing for Christmas.) To contents of fourth bowl add a few drops of oil of peppermint and green coloring. Beat candy in each bowl until it loses its gloss.
- Put out on board which has been lightly dusted with confectioner's sugar. Coat hands lightly with confectioner's sugar and shape candy into rolls; wrap in waxed paper and place in refrigerator to set. Wrap creamy caramel or chocolate divinity around rolls or coat with unsweetened chocolate. Rewrap in waxed paper, place in tin boxes and store in refrigerator until ready to pack.
- Slice rolls, place each slice in a waxed paper cup.